Re: what's the diff between 'aptitude upgrade' and 'aptitude dist-upgrade'?

> And dist-upgrade is for when you want to get all the new funky features.
> Which many of us do :-). It only breaks things if the packages uploaded
> by the maintainers are broken. Ok, that occasionally happens, which is
> why you don't use "dist-upgrade" on your production servers except with
> great care, like backups and rollback plans.

I'd say it's more like I occasionally do an update when there *aren't* broken
packages.  :)

Anyway, the approach I've always taken is to upgrade first, and then if a
heaping pile of things are broken, try a dist-upgrade before resorting to
digging into the mess by hand.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/