Re: backing up to ftp server

hi ya thomas

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, [iso-8859-1] Thomas Adam wrote:

> --- Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote:
>
> > tar zcvf today.tgz `find /etc /home -mtime -7 ( -type f -o -type l )
> > -print
>
> I think you'll find you'd need to escape the brackets, above.

yes, \(

> > > Why ftp? Why not use rsync?
> >
> > because rsync doesn't keep a copy of the last set of changes
> > before it overwrite it ??
>
> Well, the OP did say "or incremental backups" as opposed to "and/or"...

welll, hopefull, the op and others can figure out to add "-mtime -7"
for last 7 days of incremental changes vs -mtime -30 for last 30 days

and put all that ( 1 line ) in a script or into cron

and mount/umount backups as needed
	- always manually mount the backups otherwise, watch out for
	"rm -rf /"  that automounted your backups too

c ya
alvin