Scrolling beeps while playing music.

Whenever I'm playing sound files (using xmms, grip and other
applications), the computer adds very short, high-pitched beeps when
lines scroll on any visible application.

In other words, if I have something spewing a lot of output to an xterm,
it beeps a lot if the whole xterm is visible; not at all if it's on a
non-visible desktop or if another app covers it; and a little if part
of the xterm is visible.

This happens with other applications (such as Firefox when scrolling
with the mouse wheel) and in various desktops (xfce4, Gnome, KDE).
Here's some dpkg info about my sound daemon.

ii  esound                              0.2.29-1
un  esound-alsa                         <none>
ii  esound-clients                      0.2.29-1
ii  esound-common                       0.2.29-1

Any ideas or suggestions?