RE: how to use Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 in Woody

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 13:43, askar wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> > > Are the nvidia-kernel-common and nvidia-kernel-source included as a
> > > stable package?
> >
> > They most likely are too old. Get the drivers from Nvidia, or get an
> > XFree backport.
> What does it mean to get XFree backport?

It means you get a contemporary version of XFree compiled to run on
woody.

You need to add to your "/etc/apt/sources.list" the location of this
backported package. They can usually be found at http://backports.org/
or http://www.apt-get.org.

echo "deb http://www.backports.org/debian/ woody xfree86" >>
/etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

That should do it (if that is indeed the backport you want. I don't
know: this is an example).

Mind you, you'd still be working with the Xfree 'nv' driver. I don't
know if having the NVIDIA driver is all important to you or not. You
might try installing the binary from NVIDIA after this, but I have no
idea if that will work or not.

good luck,
Chris