error opening /dev/mixer

Somewhere I have crossed something up and I can't figure out where. I mostly use a 2.4.22 kernel which I compiled with support for my sblive pci card but I have started using a 2.6.5 kernel which I compiled with ALSA sound support. Sound works fine with the 2.6.5 kernel but no longer with the 2.4.22 kernel which now reports "error opening /dev/mixer." At bootup there was a suggestion to try alsactl restore and this resulted in "no sound cards found". The card is there of course and lspci -v provides details. Have I done something in installing the 2.6.5 kernel that is incompatable with the 2.4.22 configuration or is there a way to use either?

Tom