Re: nfs-kernel-server and firewalls

Tadeusz Bak wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Tom Allison wrote:

Portmapper sits on one port, but it's redirecting the nfs connection all
over the place.  I can't seem to nail it down to one set of ports.

The rpc services called by portmaper can be binded to specific ports, see
man pages for details. To find out what services are registered run:
rpcinfo -p

I guess what I should be asking is where/how do I bind specific ports?

I can't find anything in the man pages (at least the ones I'm looking at) to set this up. I am running the kernel based server so I may have a harder time with all the configuration options, but I don't really know.

I opened up port 111 for the sunrpc protocol, but that's as far as I got with the firewall.

But I'm not really sure what I am supposed to do with this:
RPCMOUNTDOPTS=
in the /etc/defauls/nfs-kernel-server. I think this is the point where I'm stuck. The man page for rpc.mountd mentions things like: ' --port num' but setting : RPCMOUNTDOPTS="--port 2049" fails because it doesn't know how to handle these options/string/format. By default, it should use 2049, but I don't think it knows that? Something doesn't, that's for certain.

When I first started trying to use nfs, I open port 111 (sunrpc) and then it was trying to access a port 815 (or something in the 800's) and that didn't map to anything. And there I realized that I wasn't getting this right at all.