Re: fast, tabbed, gnome/wm- compliant terminal

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 11:15, Thomas Adam wrote:
> --- Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking of changing though. I do like the GNOME virt. desktop
> > pager, panels, and the fact that my Epiphany (gnome's mozilla) windows
> > are remembered across reboots.
>
> That's a function of gnome-session. Fvwm allows for you to do exactly what
> you're wanting to. :)

So FVWM is good, by the sound of it?

> > On the other hand, if I can lay out my xterms manually, then I can just
> > stick em in a shell script and run that each time I boot up to get all
> > my terms up in a single hit. I already have a script for starting
> > gkrellm, ssh tunnel and gkrellm attached to my server.
>
> why not add them to ~/.xsession (assuming you launch via a graphical DM):
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> xterm -T "my xterm" -geometry 80x25+12+321 &
> xterm -T "my xterm2" -geometry 120x87+500+2 &
> exec gnome-session

That's exactly what I would like to do. Are you implying that, if I run
fvwm, I can run multiple virtual desktops (which the gnome pager will
support) and commands like this will work:

xterm -xrm '*Desk: 2'

?

My whole point is, I want (need) to be able to set up multiple desktops
with the xterms - not just a single or "visible" desktop.

A single desktop is simply not enough.

And whatever the case, in my current setup, I can't get an xterm to
start on anything but my current virtual desktop.

tia
zen