Creating own installer images

Hi!

I need to create special Debian installer images, as we have machines
 here with Promise PDC20378 S-ATA RAID controllers and need to install
 Woody on them. The driver for this controller was opensourced, but
 it's only available as a module, so no luck with just building it
 statically into the kernel.

I've googled around for (what felt like) ages, and the best I could
 find was
 <http://mail.plug.linux.org.au/pipermail/plug/2004-January/049627.html>.
 Following the instructions mentioned there I was able to get a
 custom-built kernel-image.deb and make a bootable Woody CD.

However, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to create a fitting
 initrd image where I can place ft3xx.o (for the S-ATA controller).
 Advice on how to get the installer auto-load that (and scsi_mod, on which it
 depends) would come in handy, too.
 Even better, the CD doesn't boot very far, because it can't find _any_
 root.bin (I guess that's the name for the initrd image, since there's
 RAMDISK smeared all over the screen at this step). But as soon as I
 figure out how to create it I could always place it on a floppy.

Any advice/pointers greatly appreciated, since I think I tripled the
 amount of grey in my hair today ;)

cheers+TIA;
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /