Re: Creating own installer images

On Thu, Jul 01 at 06:41PM +0200, Robert Waldner wrote:
> I need to create special Debian installer images, as we have
> machines here with Promise PDC20378 S-ATA RAID controllers and
> need to install Woody on them. The driver for this controller
> was opensourced, but it's only available as a module, so no
> luck with just building it statically into the kernel.
>
> I've googled around for (what felt like) ages, and the best I
> could find was
> <http://mail.plug.linux.org.au/pipermail/plug/2004-January/049627.html>.
> Following the instructions mentioned there I was able to get a
> custom-built kernel-image.deb and make a bootable Woody CD.
>
> However, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to create
> a fitting initrd image where I can place ft3xx.o (for the
> S-ATA controller).  Advice on how to get the installer
> auto-load that (and scsi_mod, on which it depends) would come
> in handy, too.  Even better, the CD doesn't boot very far,
> because it can't find _any_ root.bin (I guess that's the name
> for the initrd image, since there's RAMDISK smeared all over
> the screen at this step). But as soon as I figure out how to
> create it I could always place it on a floppy.
>
> Any advice/pointers greatly appreciated, since I think I
> tripled the amount of grey in my hair today ;)

and when you learn how to do this, be sure to report back,
because there are some more of us grey-bound folks out here...

:)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux boss 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #78 from USM Bish <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in>
:
Do you want to track the ERROR MESSAGES WHEN STARTING "X"
(using startx) but the screen scrolls by too fast... and then
you're in the GUI, and can't see the messages any more!
	startx 1> startx.log 2>&1
This will dump a bunch of text to the file 'startx.log'.
View this later at your convenience.