Re: Moving from RedHat/KDE to Debian/KDE

Dear Debian Users,

Thanks for all of your responses.

I have tried the suggestions, but have make only a small amount
of progress.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:39 pm, John Summerfield wrote:
> I find configuring X on Debian a never-ending challenge. A technique I
> (and a few other I know) use is to boot Knoppix and copy its
> configuration file. Works a treat.

.... The resolution is less than 1280x1024 when boot up
to Knoppix.

The trick may be with  dpkg-reconfigure:

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:28 pm, Clive Menzies wrote:
> try (as root) dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

... however, I don't know what this is supposed to
do, other than update:

  /var/cache/debconf/config.dat

it doesn't appear to have touched

  /etc/X11/*

... so there is no effect when I run '/etc/init.d/kdm start'
and log in.  I am not sure what else I am required to do.
I am going to try to manually edit the XF86config* files, but I
would prefer not to.

If anyone has a moment, snapshots of the different desktop images
are at:

	http://users.bigpond.net.au/jaymz/debian/rh9-kde-2.png
	http://users.bigpond.net.au/jaymz/debian/sarge-desktop.png

I am trying to get the latter to have resolution equal to that of the
former.

The XF86 log files are at:

	http://users.bigpond.net.au/jaymz/debian/rh9-XFree86.0.log.txt
	http://users.bigpond.net.au/jaymz/debian/sarge-XFree86.0.log.txt

I may try manaully editing the configuration files, but any suggestions
in the meantime will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

regards,

James

--