Re: EnableHiMem for Memory == exactly 1GB?

Karl Hegbloom wrote:
On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 17:31 +0300, Micha Feigin wrote:

For 1-2 GB machines there is also a patch that gives you a 2GB-2GB
memory split which allows you to use up to two GB without highmem (not
sure where the exact limit is). The upside is no memory remapping on
context switch, the downside is that programs are limited to 2GB
instead of 3GB (take into account here also the swap not only physical
memory).

Where can I find that patch?  I'd like to try it in my laptop.  It's a
Centrino chipset laptop with 1Gb of RAM installed.  When highmem is
enabled, slows to a crawl.  (Why?  Anyone know?)

A quick Google search will probably turn it up.  Just be careful if you
use binary kernel modules, as hte 2G/2G patch has been known to break
some of those modules.

-Roberto Sanchez