Re: automatically restarting dying daemons?

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 04:34:06PM -0500, Will Trillich wrote:
| problem: xinetd, after working just fine and dandy for weeks at
| 	a time, gets dozens of "unexpected signal" (source unknown)
| 	and gives up the ghost.
| questions:
| 	1) what's the best way (e.g. debian way) to monitor active
| 	   daemons and restart them when necessary? maybe some
| 	   utility already exists for this? or /proc/something?
| 	   or `ps ax`?

| 	2) how can i track down the source of the signals specific
| 	   to this case and make it stop?

I don't know.  Maybe start with the source code and see what sort of
conditions cause that error to be reported?

The only thing that jumps out at me from the logs I snipped is a lot
of daemons are reporting unusual problems at that time.  Maybe some
hardware issue on the machine (failing memory or data corruption on
some bus)?

The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.
    Who can understand it?
I the Lord search the heart
    and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
    according to what his deeds deserve.
        Jeremiah 17:9-10