Re: ALSA under 2.6.7

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
Hi all!

I finally decided it was time to upgrade to the 2.6 kernel. So I have compiled myself a kernel, based on Linus' 2.6.7 with the Ruby patches. I need those for my local multiuser setup. It all seems to work very nicely, except that I lost my sound. The problem is, I'm not really getting any error messages I'm able to see. Everything seems quite nice, it is just that I'm not hearing anything... Has anybody got ALSA working with the alsa-base and alsa-utils currently in Sarge? There are some examples lacking (bug reports have been filed on those, I'm sure they are working on it), so I'm feeling I'm just blindly trying different things but having no clue what they are supposed to do.
<snip>
Any hints, please?
Best,
Kjetil

I haven't had any problems like that with ALSA since I used 2.5.xxx.
I needed ALSA to get my Creative Audigy Platinum Ex working.
Now I'm using a self-compiled 2.6.7 kernel from kernel.org
and alsa-base and -utils from unstable.

This should tell you that ALSA from unstable with kernel 2.6.7 works.

So far so good. Now for my own problem.

Everything seemed ok except for the fact that my digital out
didn't work for a while, but I don't know whether that had
anything to do with ALSA or wheter the card was acting strange.
It did have a history of strange behaviour: it had lost use
of the back speakers on the windows pc it was originally in.
I never got those to work with ALSA either.
Fortunately my digital out seems ok now.
(Though digital and analog out don't work simultaniously any more)

What's worse is that as of recently I can't use
my headphones any more.
I've tried every alsamixer setting I could think of,
but still no sound.

I hope anyone on this list can shed some light on this.
I'd especially like to know whether my card is faulty or whether
ALSA is causing the problem.

Regards,

Felix

--
Felix C. Stegerman

the QuiX project - Open Source Software Development
E-Mail: quix@free.fr
Web:    http://www.quix.tk/