Re: Comparision presentation of Debian with RedHat

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 06:07:42PM +0545, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> Dear Users,
> 	I need a little help. We are an ISP and running RedHat distribution on our servers. I want to migrate them to Debian gradually because of the excellent features that Debian provides like policy, package management, release cycle, security updates and many more.
> I'm looking for a presentation on "Differences between RedHat and Debian" so as to convince my management. I'd be thankful if anyone could help me in this regard.
>
> TIA,
> rrs
Hi Ritesh,
the only thing that need be said is "RPM" based distros
(susu,redhat,mandrake,...).
"rpm hell" is STILL a term spoken by those who use them.
yum, urpm, apt-rpm are helping make it less painful but still there are
things to iron out. Also, may of the more informed debian folks point to
the rpm specification that is less usefull then the deb specification.
also, dpkg is the cloest to rpm in terms of funtionality.
apt-get is the 'closest' to up2date but barely.
synaptic is maybe close to red carpet.
HTH
-Kev
--