Re: syslog

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Matthew Joyce said:

> I have been asked by a 3rd party (who managed some
> comms equipment for us) if we have a syslog server.
>
> If so, they say they can direct some logs to it.
>
> We have some Debian boxes, don't they all have syslog
> running ?
>
> How does it work ?

man syslogd, look for "-r". If set, syslogd receives messages on the
network from whoever sends them, and puts them in the local log. Makes
it easier to log from devices without a disk, and makes it harder for
a hacker to hide what he has done (he'll need to break in to the
syslog server too).

Ketil Froyn
ketil@froyn.name
http://ketil.froyn.name/