Re: Mouse strangeness

Jon Schneider wrote:

A few days ago I posted a problem with testing beta4 where a Genius KYE
wheelemouse behaved strangely under X even though the same mice work
fine with other Debians and even the same machine with Knoppix for
example.

It is for a rack machine where the idea is that a USB keyboard/mouse
will be plugged in as and when and not when the thing boots.

I suspected my problems were to do with the kernel modules and was
right, sort of.

I can get the mouse to behave properly by reloading
mousedev and usbmouse when in a console (the script uses chvt to
accomplish this otherwise the things won't unload) window before
restarting X. But X does then need restarting  (CTRL-ALT-BSP) rather
than switching back to it. Then the USB mouse/mice can be (un)plugged
anytime and everything behaves.

But as far as I can tell it's no good just loading the modules before X
starts for the first time if a USB mouse hasn't yet been plugged in.
Arggh.

Is hotplug installed?

You X config file needs a stanza for the mouse. This may work:
Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
       Driver          "mouse"
       Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
       Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
       Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
       Option          "Buttons"       "5"
#       Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

That's what drives my Logitech Optical.

--

Cheers