Re: ide: Assuming 33MHz

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 06:57, David Baron wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 June 2004 03:09,
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org> wrote:
> > How can one tell if one is taking full advantage of the hardware?
> The IDE BUS normally runs as 33mhz. A 100mhz system bus it cut by 3, an
> oldie 66mhz system bus is cut by 2. That is how it works.  The question
> I have posted before is: I overclock my system to 115mhz which
> corresponds to an IDE speed of about 37 mhz. Is there an advantage (or
> disadvantage) of placing this override? Where is this done?

If you really wanted to, you'd add idebus=37 to your kernel flags.  That
would be done in your LILO, GRUB (or other bootloader) config file.

I can't see it would be any help though, if indeed the BIOS did let you
change it you could end up with a drive that doesn't work at that bus
speed, corrupted data or worse.

David