Re: Uh Oh... Prof requires ms word format

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 07:50:20AM -0500, cecil wrote:
> I just looked on the upcoming syllubus for my CS class. The prof
> requires ms word format zipped files for the assignments. What do I do
> to do that on linux? I guess I HAVE to install X now. :(
>
> Cecil

With the replies so far, I guess you now know that X will run on your machine.
Knoppix might have troubles, though, because its autoconfiguration may be
designed for a larger machine (it reserves a 10 megabyte RAMdisk, for
example, and thst's a *lot* of your RAM, and may no longer have space for X.

As for minimal X, I once (ten or fifteen years ago) used an X terminal
with only 8 meg of RAM.  It worked fine, though all my applications and
even the window manager had to run on another machine!

May I recommend abiword?  It will also generate word files, and it's a good
deal smaller than OpenOffice.

-- hendrik