Re: How hard would this be?(Learning LaTex)

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:21:41 -0500, cecil <xeys_00@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Someone told me today at lunch that what with my  "wierd obsession", as
> he called it, to perhaps go without a gui(X), I should try "that latex
> thingie". My buddy is a real wordmaster. LOL. I did some reading up on
> it; it's interesting. I never knew that you could do all that with no
> window system. Does anyone here use it on a regular basis, and if so,
> how hard is it to use, setup, print, etc?

I used it to write up my 3rd year project, and I think it probably
ended up being as useful as writing it in microsoft word (not taking
into account of course the unavailability of word for linux).

Much of the power that latex has exists now in word: e.g. automatic
contents building. I used bibtex for references which was a blessing
and a curse. The appearance was significantly more attractive than
anything I could concoct in word; and the typesettings is second to
none. However some of the limitations/annoyances really built up and
got on my nerves.

I adopted a vim script called `vim-latexsuite'  mid way through and
found it very helpful; especially `auto-folding' which collapses each
section up until you ask it to be expanded.

Find and print out a good reference sheet and try out vim-latexsuite,
an emacs equivalent if thats your poison or an environment such as
kile or lyx.

--
Jon Dowland