Re: How hard would this be?(Learning LaTex)

I guess you could say I use LaTeX "on a regular basis", I almost
finished writing my PhD dissertation in LaTeX..., also with emacs (and
the auctex package).

LaTeX is great, but you have to be clear about something: it is not a
desktop publishing system.  If you need careful control of layout,
forget about it.  It works superbly well with well defined classes of
documents (papers, articles, etc.) if there is a LaTeX document class
written for them.  Of course, my ideal would be an XML/SGML with a
proper semantic markup that one could later translate into printouts,
web material, etc. by means of a complete set of stylesheets.  But
nobody seems to care about that, at least in the world of humanities
academia.  LaTeX is just the thing that is working now and comes closer
to that.

--
Ivan Fernández
ivan.fernandez@vanderbilt.edu