Unable to start x on fresh Sarge install

Hi,

I recently installed SARGE from cd, on a PC without internet connection.
I only had the first installer disk available initially, so installed
the base system and that went fine. I later went back with the first 4
CDs of sarge (downloaded using JIGDO) to complete the install just using
apt-cdrom and apt-get. All seemed to go fine, including "apt-get install
gnome-desktop-enviroment".

But when I then tried to run "startx", I got this message:
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: line 2:
    /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or directory
  xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2):
     unable to connect to X server
  xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

I installed "gdm" too, and rebooted. But I just got a message saying
that X could not be started.

I tried "dpkg-reconfigure xfree86-common", but it completed without
prompting me for any input, and the situation remained the same.

Any ideas what I need to do to get X running?

Thanks,

Simon