Re: How hard would this be?(Learning LaTex)

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:21:41PM -0500, cecil wrote:
> Someone told me today at lunch that what with my  "wierd obsession", as
> he called it, to perhaps go without a gui(X), I should try "that latex
> thingie". My buddy is a real wordmaster. LOL. I did some reading up on
> it; it's interesting. I never knew that you could do all that with no
> window system. Does anyone here use it on a regular basis, and if so,
> how hard is it to use, setup, print, etc? I'm having thoughts of perhaps
> writing papers this semester in emacs and if this thing... Well, let's
> just say I'm trying to have an open mind about things. I'm trying not to
> summarily dismiss thing just because I don't know what they are, or, are
> not familiar with them.
>
> Cecil

Since nobody has mentioned it, I have to do it: Plain TeX is from my
point of view better, from some other point of view, at some level, the
freedom granted by Plain is greater, and many of the Plain commands
will work in Latex, when they don't contradict each other.
TeX at the foundation, then Plain TeX, LaTeX, eplain, etc are built as
a collection of tex macros.