Looking for video card to drive 1920x1200 LCD monitor

I've just recently purchased a 1920x1200 LCD monitor that I am currently
driving with an ATI Radeon 7500 over DVI-D (surprised me that it would
actually work).  While the combination does does work (quite crisply
too, thank you), moving windows opaquely shows tearing.

So, I'm on the lookout for a new video card.  I had hopes for the ATI
Radeon 9200 (I did track one down) but it does not have DVI-D output.
I would like to be able to play some occasional bzflag and crack-attack,
and would like to stay with the XFree86 driver.  That would restrict me
to the Radeon 9200s and below.

I've read that the ATI proprietary driver has worse 2D performance than
that of the XFree86 driver, but it does have the advantage of working
with ALL of the Radeon revisions (except for the 7000 series).

So, my choices seem to be:

1. Get a somewhat current generation Radeon & stay with the XFree86
   drivers, forsaking the pleasures of bzflag, crack-attack and OpenGL
   screensavers.

2. Get a somewhat current generation Radeon & install the ATI
   proprietary drivers, and possibly reducing my system's stability.

3. Same as (2) but using an NVidia card instead (I wonder how much
   accelerated 2D support the XFree86 nv driver has).

4. Scrounge for a Radeon 9000 PRO or older card with DVI output.

5. Return my LCD and use my old monitor. :)

If you're using the ATI proprietary driver, please post your experience
with it. Does your windows tear when being moved?  Are screen updates
slow when a high resolution (> 1280x1024) is in use?

Thanks,

--
Steven Yap <syap@shaw.ca>