From: Martin Dowie <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:54:01 +0100
Subject: Newbie installation
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Hi all!

I'm a first-time GNU/Linux (wanna-be) User although I have some Un*x
experience. I've downloaded all 14 Sarge .iso CDs and have happily managed to
get a system that will now boot to a command line after installing from CD1. I
used the default partitioning for multi-users.

I notice that while booting there are several failures - but the screen is
flying by at this point and I can't see what they are. Is there a 'boot log' I
can 'cat|more' though?

I'm also now at a lose as to how to install stuff from the other CD's - in
particular I would like GNOME as my desktop environmnet and to be able
to use my
Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL modem. I've searched high and low for a Debian
installation guide for dummies but I either find stuff that is more "... for
Experts" or I find 1,000's of hits that don't really seem to cover what I want.
Can someone recommend a link for me as to what to do now?

TIA

-- Martin