4mm DAT drive

Howdy.

I have an older 4mm SCSI DAT drive (HP C1533A).  It's supposed to be 4gb
native, but I can only seem to tar up ~3gb.  It's been quite a few years
since I last used a tape drive (back when SunOS4.1 was new), so I don't
remember how to address the compression of the drive.  In any event, I'm
sure it's different in Debian than old SunOS...

Can anyone help me with my amnesia?

Thanks.

--

Eric N. Valor