Mouse Jumps/ Moves Erratically

I have a not-strictly-PS/2 mouse, as I have just found out by tracing the
cable.  This is a Logitech USB mouse (well, trackball, actually) with a PS/2
adapter that goes into a KVM switch (Omniview 2-port KVM switch).  The KVM
switch connects a Linux and a Windows machine.  When I reboot, the mouse is
OK in the one that is switched to (either Windows or Linux), but jumps and
hops erratically when moved on the other, whichever it is.  So, this tells
me that is definitely has to do with the KVM; however, it's not quite that
simple, either.

In all cases, on reboot- whichever computer is selected, the mouse is OK.
So, you may ask, why not reboot one, switch to the other, and reboot it?
This works for Windows, boot Windows, and you can switch back and forth, and
the Windows mouse stays happy.  But with Linux, however, if you boot with
Linux selected on the KVM, it is OK, but if you switch to Windows and back
again, the Linux mouse is all screwed up again.

So, at best, every time I switch to Windows and back again, I have to reboot
Linux.

Is there any way to even debug this?  I'd hate to find a situation where
WinDoze is more stable than Linux!  Any help I could get solving this
problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
anw