Is there a way to determine

Sorry for the newbie question. I'm new to the Debian package management system. Is there a way to determine what packages are available from the repositories I have in sources.list? I use dpkg --list to see what's installed, but is there a way to see what packages are available, but not installed? I tried dpkg --update-avail * but nothing seems to happen. I'd like to see what kernel packages are available, I tried dpkg --update-avail kern* then dpkg --list but only see the kernel stuff already installed. What am I missing???

Thanks for any help...

DSP