Re: Good Linux backup program

Andrew Ingram wrote:
Hi!

Just wanting to know if anyone on here has any recommendations for
backup programs for my Debian box. I'm looking for a program with a
nice, easy to use gui, which can do automated backups of parts of the
filesystem and then store the backup on a smb mount. I'd like something
that makes it easy to extract individual files as well as extracting the
whole archive. Does anything like this exist? BTW, I use KDE so anything
that integrates well with that is a bonus.

Thanks,
Andrew

Wow, there are many MANY ways to skin this cat. But I would suggest that a GUI isn't going to "do it all" without getting really complicated. For example, you could set up a backup server (Amanda or Bacula for example). Then install the backup client on your Debian box. Set up the SMBshare from the storage system. Mount the share on your Debian box. Then use the backup server gui to configure your backup client and schedules. The same backup application gui could be used to browse and restore the backups. But this is pretty complex and involved.

If you just get past the "GUI" hangup, this becomes a very simple matter.

To do automated/scheduled backups to a samba share you probably just want a cronjob that calls a simple shell script that backs up the dir's/files you want to a gzipped tar file with an appropriate name (that contains the date/time for example) the gzipped tar file gets put in the directory where the SMBshare is mounted.

To browse your backups and extract things you could use "ark" (a gui program)

-Ben.