Re: aptitude and backports with the same name as unstable packages

> Hi,
>
> 2) The version of checkinstall and installwatch from backports.org don't
> contain a string in the version name so their version is the same as the
> version from unstable. When going to the package discription i can only
> see for instance for checkinstall
> p 1.5.3-3
> p 1.5.3-1
> So i can't distinguish between the unstable and the backports version.
> Is there anyway i can view the location or to install from a particular
> location?

I found an answer to this part of my question. Just as i posted it, i
tried googling with a different searchterm. I thought that the keyword was
location but it's origin that's the key to a succesful google session.
I found that one can pin against a location so by putting the following
code in your /etc/apt/preferences file, the files from backports.org
always end up on top and get installed.

Package: *
Pin: origin www.backports.org
Pin-Priority: 850

(where 850 > pin priority of the biggest other priority number in the
preferences file)

Maybe there are other ways put that's the one i found.

Benedict