Re: [OT] yahoo protocol switching

on Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:58:46PM -0700, Paul Johnson insinuated:
> Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> writes:
>
> > On Thursday 2004-06-24 12:48 pm, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> >
> >> has anyone else been bitten by this, and found a workaround?
> >
> > I don't mean to sound like an ass, but that's what happens when
> > you rely on the whims of a proprietary vendor.  Set up a Jabber
> > server and start migrating your friends to it.
>
> Or just grab a jabber client and use ursine.ca as a jabber server,
> my jabber server is open to the public.  KDE users may find Kopete
> to be a very nice fit.

yeah?  this wouldn't put undue load on you?  it would be cool to test
out, to then try to slowly migrate people in the company over ... i
think half of their objection is setting up / maintaining the server,
and they're clearly not worried about security, as we've been using
ya-f*ing-hoo forever ... (the other half, of course, is getting the
luddites to learn one new application, but that could come with time).

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++     Sponsor me as I run my SECOND marathon for AIDS:       ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++