Re: Re: Sound troubles

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 09:14:44AM -0700, David Wright wrote:
> Thanks so much for the detailed advice! I have taken it, but I am afraid
> it still doesn't entirely solve the problem.
>
> I blacklisted the OSS modules for both discover and hotplug, as
> described in the alsa-base docs. Loaded modules now have only snd-
> modules, including snd-pcm-oss:
>
> aloysha:~# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> snd_pcm_oss            53668  0
<snipped>

Yes, that seems right. How did you load all these modules? Did ALSA do
this automatically or did you add modules to /etc/modules?

> The programs alsaconf and alsamixer can recognize both the on-board and
> soundblaster cards and work with them. But I still can't get and sound

Great!

> and still can't write to /dev/dsp:
>
> aloysha:~# cat /home/dcw/sndkit/dsp/endoftheworld > /dev/dsp
> cat: write error: No such device

Hmmm....

> I am beginning to think this may be a hotplug or udev problem. I notice
> now that many of the audio devices that MAKEDEV is supposed to make are
> missing (e.g. /dev/sequencer and /dev/audio), and running MAKEDEV audio
> over and over still doesn't create them. (By the way, catting to
> /.dev/dsp gives the same error message.)

Please check your devices. I have:

dfokkema@sirius:dfokkema$ ls -l /dev/dsp0
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp0
dfokkema@sirius:dfokkema$ ls -l /dev/dsp*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp -> /dev/dsp0
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp0
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  19 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp1
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  35 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp2
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  51 2003-11-22 11:32 /dev/dsp3

> If you have any follow-up advice, it would be appreciated. Thanks again,

You could try to run xmms and then options->preferences->output plugin.
I have the following options: alsa, disk writer, esound and oss. Try
setting it to alsa and see if you hear any sound. If not, check your
mixer settings (just to make sure, :-). Does this help?

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!