Re: Sound troubles

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:23:25AM -0700, David Wright wrote:
> Sound was working fine with my system until recently, and now appears to
> be quite screwed up in a way I cannot diagnose. Any help is appreciated.
>
> I am running sid with the 2.6.6-2-k7 kernel. I have a soundblaster card
> that is recognized:
>
> aloysha:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [CMI8738        ]: CMI8738 - C-Media PCI CMI8738
>                      C-Media PCI CMI8738 (model 37) at 0x9400, irq 10
> 1 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - Sound Blaster Live!
>                      Sound Blaster Live! (rev.8) at 0x8800, irq 5
>
> I am using the discover package, and it looks like it has loaded the
> appropriate modules:

<snip>

I see both OSS modules (ac97_codec, sound, emu10k1) and ALSA modules
(snd, snd_pcm, snd_ac97_codec, etc.) loaded. They cannot both work. Read
/usr/share/doc/alsa-base/NEWS.Debian.gz for details on disabling OSS
modules for discover.

> The appropriate audio devices appear to exist (and yes, I have run
> MAKEDEV audio):
>
> aloysha:~# ls -l /dev/dsp
> crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Jun 22 00:21 /dev/dsp
>
> But, I hear no sound, and when I attempt the simple test of writing a
> sound file to /dev/dsp (even as root, to avoid any permission issues), I
> am told that the device doesn't exist!
>
> aloysha:/home/dcw/sndkit/dsp# cat endoftheworld > /dev/dsp
> cat: write error: No such device

My guess would be that the OSS modules grab /dev/dsp but they cannot
grab the soundcard, since that one has already been taken by ALSA.
However, I don't see a snd-pcm-oss module which emulates OSS and
thus provides a /dev/dsp link. So, try to unload all OSS modules, load
snd-pcm-oss and try catting to /dev/dsp again. I guess that should
work...

HTH,
David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!