Re: how to set up debian from fedora core 2

On Thursday 24 June 2004 08:45 am, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

> debootstrap, then run it to prepare a debian partition. Then I chroot into
> that to configure it. Everything runs more or less smoothly (I'm unable to

I'm glad you got that sorted, and glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to
attempt that.  It was only just a month or so ago that I finally installed
Debian with an installer for the first time.  I did my chroot deal from
Mandrake 8.1.  (I was working on an uptime record at the time, and I figured
I might as well continue to build up my uptime while learning about
Debian.  :)

I found it to be really quite a challenge, and it was a fun exercise.  In
retrospect though, my properly installed Debian boxes work better.  I missed
a number of useful packages installing in chroot the way I did, and I reused
things like XF86Config-4 and lilo.conf from Mandrake, which caused no end of
minor, irritating problems along the way.

Nothing major or unavoidable though.  The main reason I decided to do a real
install was because I got a cable modem, and I wanted some excuse to use
it.  :)

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/