how to set up debian from fedora core 2

hi there,

I'm following the instructions at http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-preparing.en.html#s-linux-upgrade
to install a debian partition on my machine, i.e. I install debootstrap, then run
it to prepare a debian partition. Then I chroot into that to configure it.
Everything runs more or less smoothly (I'm unable to tell whether the occasional
errors I see in the output are benign or not).

However, when I run 'apt-cache search kernel-image' the first time, I get
a segmentation fault. Running it again outputs nothing. Can anybody help
me getting any further ? Did I miss something ?

Thanks,
		Stefan