Re: Global Env Variables

John Patterson wrote:
Hi every body,

I am trying to set the LANG environment variable so that when init launches
my Tomcat server my web app uses the correct currency symbols.  I first
tried putting it in /etc/profile until I discovered that it is only sourced
by login shells.  So then I tried /root/.bashrc which should be sourced by
non-login shells.  This didn't work either.

I ended up putting in in /etc/init.d/tomcat where it does work.  However,
this seems like a hack to me.  There must be a way to set a global
environment variable that is accessible to init.

Thanks,

John.

The bootloader calls the kernel,
the kernel calls init
init calls /etc/rc.d/rc
/etc/rc.d/rc calls each of the startup scripts in the runlevels.

So the earliest place I guess you could get it in would be to stick the "export VARNAME=VALUE" lines at the begining of /etc/rc.d/rc
That would be fairly global.

-Ben.