Global Env Variables

Hi every body,

I am trying to set the LANG environment variable so that when init launches
my Tomcat server my web app uses the correct currency symbols.  I first
tried putting it in /etc/profile until I discovered that it is only sourced
by login shells.  So then I tried /root/.bashrc which should be sourced by
non-login shells.  This didn't work either.

I ended up putting in in /etc/init.d/tomcat where it does work.  However,
this seems like a hack to me.  There must be a way to set a global
environment variable that is accessible to init.

Thanks,

John.