Re: Migrating to Debian: questions

linuxnand@netscape.net wrote:
Hello All,

I am new to Debian but I have been using Linux since 1995. I enjoy the idea of Debian that offers total independence so I am willing very much to learn it well.

I have installed 3.0R2. It installed kernel 2.2 instead of 2.4. Now, how can I use apt to have the 2.4 installed?

Also, how can I change the sources.list to upgrade my system to the new packages like gnome 2.6, KDE 3.3, Mozilla 1.7, etc.

I am no Debian Expert, but I have been using Linux since 1995 and I have been a professional systems Admin for about that length of time as well.

You need to use the unstable/experimental branches of the apt repositories to get all the latest and greatest stuff. I have a workstation running Debian that has been very stable for many months, Down below you will see my /etc/apt/sources.list file (carefull of the line wraps!) I am running 2.6, and KDE 3.x and Mozilla 1.7 and gnome 2.6, without having to compile or package anything myself.

After you set up this sources.list file, I suggest you run the following commands:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install synaptic
    synaptic

Now you will have a very nice and powerfull utility for managing your software.

[root@saturn:~]# cat /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/debian/ testing main
deb-src http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/debian/ testing main

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

##############################

deb http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/debian/ testing contrib non-free
deb http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

deb-src http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/debian/ testing contrib non-free
deb-src http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

# non-US
deb ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free deb-src ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free deb ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free deb-src ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

deb ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free deb-src ftp://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Experimental
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free

# ***Do not edit above this line, ok to change sources below this line***

# Security updates
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates contrib non-free

# java
deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian unstable main non-free

deb http://www.opengroupware.org/packages deb/