Re: moving to the 2.6 kernel?

Jules Dubois wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 01:39:16 -0500, Kent West wrote:
Jules Dubois wrote:
There's really nothing more to it than installing a kernel-image package
(and, in my case, updating initrd-tools)?
If you're not already running an initrd kernel, you may have to add one
line to /etc/lilo.conf, but you're warned about it during the install.

I installed kernel-image-2.6.6-2-k7.  I get lots of error during boot;
they go by quickly, I don't seem to be able to stop them, and they're not
recorded in any log file.  If I interpret the situation correctly, every
attempt to load a module fails with a "/lib/modules: read-only filesystem"
error.
I have installed 2.6.6-2-386 (for k6-2?) and have the same problem. Moreover the error messages refer to /lib/modules/2.6.6-1-386/...

I don't want to spend the time to build a new kernel right now and I have spent quite a bit of time Googling, searching this list and reading kernel-docs. Is there a way to fix this with a stock kernel. Is there a better choice than 386 for AMD K6-II? Is there more information I can provide?

This is on sid.

TIA,

Paul Scott