Re: moving to the 2.6 kernel?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 01:39:16 -0500, Kent West wrote:

> Jules Dubois wrote:
>
>>There's really nothing more to it than installing a kernel-image package
>>(and, in my case, updating initrd-tools)?
>>
> If you're not already running an initrd kernel, you may have to add one
> line to /etc/lilo.conf, but you're warned about it during the install.

I installed kernel-image-2.6.6-2-k7.  I get lots of error during boot;
they go by quickly, I don't seem to be able to stop them, and they're not
recorded in any log file.  If I interpret the situation correctly, every
attempt to load a module fails with a "/lib/modules: read-only filesystem"
error.

I installed the kernel 2.6.0 source, patched it to 2.6.7, configured,
compiled (make-kpkg), installed (dpkg), and rebooted.  It very nearly
works. ALSA and GNOME 2.6 (also new) now drive my SoundBlaster
Live 5.1 card correctly.  (Mr. Chris Metzler provided me with his gracious
assistance trying to get it to work with kernel 2.4 and GNOME 2.4.)

What's not working is my 4-port serial card.  The brand name is
"ByteRunner", it's made by VisionSystems, and it has a Titan serial
controller on it.  It's detected because I can see it using lspci.
Unfortunately, where kernel 2.4 found my modem on /dev/ttyS5, kernel 2.6
doesn't seem to see it at all.

Do the non-standard serial ports live somewhere else now?