PHP + PostgreSQL

I've techtables installed in my box but it doesn't
wanna work. someone in this room told me that it
because PHP doesn't compiled with PostgreSQL. Well, i
wonder...As a trully stupid debian newbie, all i did
when installing PHP4 to support PostgreSQl is just
'apt-get install php4-pgsql'. that's it.
or should i compile php4 from source so it will
support postgresql ??? if that so, why there's a
debian package for it ? (what the ...)

cheers,

  me