Re: Missing packages or modules for Sid 2.6.X kernels?

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:31:06PM -0700, Charlie Zender said
> Hi,
>
> I use Debian Sid pre-packaged kernels on my Dell laptop.
> When a new binary kernel package comes out I do a
>
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.26-1-686 kernel-headers-2.4.26-1-686 \
> kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.26-1-686 lm-sensors-2.4.26-1-686 \
> nvidia-kernel-2.4.26-1-686
>
> and then edit my GRUB menu.lst and I'm done. However,
> I have trouble getting 2.6 debian pre-packaged kernels running.
> There seem to be only two packages for 2.6, kernel-image, and
> kernel-headers. When I install these
>
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.6-1-686 kernel-headers-2.6.6-1-686
>
> and then try to boot into 2.6.6, I get kernel panic because,
> apparently, none of the kernel modules were installed and the kernel
> does not like that.

Did you tell grub to use an initrd?  Do you see modules in
/lib/modules/2.6.6/ or so?

> 1. Am I supposed to be installing 2.6.X versions of the packages
> kernel-pcmcia-modules, lm-sensors, and nvidia-kernel?

Yes, kernel modules need to be built for the exact kernel you're using.

> If so, where are these packages located, I can't find them.

If they're not there, you can build them from source.  Install
kernel-package and lm-source, nvidia-kernel-source, etc.  apt-cache
search is your friend.

> 2. Is there a completely different package name(s) for the modules
> for the Sid 2.6.X kernel? If so, what is it?

Not that I know of, but, again, apt-cache search should make light work
of finding out.

> 3. Is it just that all the required Debian packages for 2.6.X kernels
>    have not yet been finished so everyone else who tries the binary
>    kernels encounters the same problems I do?

There is always a delay from a new kernel being uploaded to the
surrounding modules being rebuilt; but you have the module source
(mostly...), you can build the packages yourself quite easily.

--
Words of the day:     Delta Force interception strategic World Trade Center UOP