mysql and libgcc_s.so.1

I'm experiencing something very strange since I moved to woody unstable.
Since updating, I can't get my locally compiled copy of mysql to survive
more than a single connection. After the connection is closed, mysqld
exits everytime.

I was using mysql-4.0.14 compiled under stable so I decided to move to mysql-4.0.20 compiled under unstable to no avail. Every time the thread for the connection tries to clean up, mysql tries to open libgcc_s.so.1. Somehow, mysqld fails to find this file!? I've noticed that it tries to open the correct file, but the open returns ENOENT. Permissions are fine from / all the way down to /lib/libgcc_s.so.1.

I'm running the most recent woody unstable and I have the following:
gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3.4 (Debian)

ldd --version
ldd (GNU libc) 2.3.2

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql --version
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.20, for pc-linux (i686)
# mysql configure options, taken from config.status
# mysqld is dynamic because I use User Defined Functions
'CFLAGS=-O2 -mcpu=pentiumpro' \
'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -DDONT_USE_DEFAULT_FIELDS -mcpu=pentiumpro -feli
de-constructors' \
'CXX=gcc' \
./configure \
 '--prefix=/usr/local/mysql' \
'--with-unix-socket-path=/usr/local/mysql/log/mysqld.sock' \
'--enable-assembler' \
'--enable-thread-safe-client' \
'--without-bench' \
'--with-mysqld-ldflags=-rdynamic'

I noticed that another user had a similar problem, but I don't have
another unstable machine to copy from. That notwithstanding, I don't
think it would really make a difference... I apt-got the gcc source
and compiled it. Doing an md5sum on the resultant library showed no
differences between the libraries, after I stripped the new one. I even
copied the new lib into place, just in case but it didn't change anything.

--
<flah@hell.com>
01101000011000010110110001100110