setting up user directories with apache2

I am trying to enable user directories with apache2 in unstable.

I linked the file /etc/apache2/mods-available/userdir.conf to
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/userdir.conf and put the following lines in
it:

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
	UserDir /home/*/html

	UserDir disabled root

	<Directory /home/*/html>
		AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
		Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
	</Directory>
</IfModule>

When trying to connect I get the message

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~<user>/ on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.0.49 (Debian GNU/Linux) mod_ssl/2.0.49 OpenSSL/0.9.7d Server at localhost Port 80

I also tried in https mode and got the same without the additional
message. The directory is chmod 755. Trying a none existing directory I
get a URL not found error.

Any ideas?