XFree86 problem with S3 video card

I used the Debian Installer TC1 ... it installs, but gdm fails.  I
looked at /var/log/XFree86.0.log, cannot determine what my problem
is.

Using Diamond Stealth SE video card with S3 Trio 732 chip, 1 MB
memory.  Motherboard is FIC 503VA+, CPU is K6-2.

It appears it should be using the s3_drv.o driver which is present at
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/s3_drv.o

The /var/log/XFree86.0.log is posted on web page:
http://azark.com/xfreelog/XFree86.0.log
(instead of including about 40k worth of text in this message
posting!)

Here are the last few lines of that log:

(WW) s3: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:9:22:0)
found
(WW) s3: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:9:23:0)
found
(WW) s3: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:9:24:0)
found
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Can anyone give me pointers of how to proceed?  Not a total noob, but
still far away from guru status ;-)

Thanks,
Don