Re: Downloading uw-imapd folders

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 04:42:12PM -0500, John Fleming wrote:
| I have uw-imapd installed and working in that Squirrelmail works nicely.
| However, using a Windose box, I'm having trouble getting the correct folders
| downloaded.  The Windose client will let me specify the path to my mail
| folders.  If I leave it blank, it appears to be downloading hundreds of
| thousands of things as judged by the almost spinning odometer.  If I specify
| the paath as INBOX, it correctly gets my inbox, but none of the other
| folders.  Any suggestions?

uw-imapd presents $HOME on the server as '/' to the IMAP client.  If
your home directory is large, then you will see all those files and
directories being listed by your IMAP client and it may take a while.
uw-imapd treats the mailbox "INBOX" as /var/mail/$USER.  Thus when you
tell the IMAP client to prefix all folder paths with INBOX, you only
see the inbox because that file on the server has no subdirectories
(naturally :-)).  A typical client configuration for working with uw
is to set "Mail/" or "~/Mail/" (or some variation on that) as the path
to your folders.  Doing this avoids cluttering $HOME with your mail
folders and avoids seeing files and directories unrelated to mail in
your IMAP client.

HTH,
-D

--
A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in.
  --Kim Alm, a.s.r