Re: USB memory stick?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:22:17 +1200, Simon Kitching
<simon@ecnetwork.co.nz> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this is not necessary, at least for basic functionality,
> with recent systems. Maybe someone read Jon's notes and built it in ;-).
>
> I'm using a 256MByte USB memory stick fine, with a debian testing system
> running kernel-2.4, and also with a debian testing system running
> kernel-2.6. Yes, the USB drive appears as a SCSI device, but that all
> seems to work out-of-the-box for me.

Are you using a pre-built debian kernel or a custom one? According to
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/3.0.23-2002-05-21/bf2.4/kernel-config;
the bf24 stock kernel has the relevant SCSI modules built-in. This may
be the case for
all the debian stock kernels.

> Now I *would* like to see an icon pop up on the desktop when the USB
> device gets inserted. Maybe the hotplug stuff is related to that? I can
> live without it, though...

Me too - or similar such things. Someone said in another thread that
`udev' works
towards these goals, but I haven't investigated it.

--
Jon Dowland