Re: /etc/hostname

Tom Allison wrote:

My /etc/hostname file contains only the machine name and not the FQDN of the machine.

This is causing problems with procmail, squirrelmail and probably 50 other things out there.

How do I set this once and for all?
And should it be a FQDN or just the machine name?

I'm actually thinking it needs to be the machine name only because if you are running multiple domains on a machine you need to be able to tell the difference for email and web services.

You don't mention what your hostname is, so this is a shot in the dark. I had similar problems with a new computer last week. Turns out the name I was using (debian_alpha) had an underscore in it, and the system didn't like that. Changing the underscore to a dash (debian-alpha) solved the problem.

--
Kent