ipchains problem,

debian 3.0r2 kernel 2.2.20

Still I am configuring the boxes in kiosk mode.

First now I observe that the debian I downloaded last week included 2.2 kernel and not 2.4. Wich means I can not use the firewall script wich use iptables. So I have rewritten the script for ipchains. I used the same script in redhat 7.0, and it worked straight out of the box.

When I run it, I get this message: ipchains: 'Protocol not available' for each line in the script

Can it be that the module ipchains is not loaded from kernel? I try the insmod and modprobe , but it tells me that module ipchains does not excist.

Anyone know how to deal with this one?