Re: USB memory stick?

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 08:43, jakob bratkovic wrote:
> stan wrote:
> > I was given a USB memory stick, as a promotional giveawau by a vrndor,
> > Friday.
> >
> > How can I use this with my Debian laptop?
> >

> If I understand correctly you're talking about an USB drive. If this is
> the case, Linux will see it as an SCSI disk and probably assign it to
> /dev/sda1 if you otherwise use IDE drives. Adding a line such as:
>
> /dev/sda1       /mnt/usb        vfat    noauto,user     0       0
>
> and creating a directory:
>
> /mnt/usb
>
> should allow you to mount it with a command:
>
> mount /mnt/usb

I found it necessary to do this when using kernel-2.4:
  modprobe usb-storage
  mount /proc/bus/usb
where /etc/fstab has:
  none    /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0

This can be a script linked from rc{n}.d. Or maybe added to
/etc/modprobe.conf? Not sure; I just run these commands manually before
I use USB - and of course it's only needed after a reboot.

Then as Jakob says, the entry in the /etc/fstab file described above
allows any user account to type:
  mount /mnt/usb
  ... do stuff
  umount /mnt/usb

You could even make desktop entries to do the mount/umount :-)

Cheers,

Simon