Re: resolv.conf gets reset

On Sunday 20 June 2004 09:11 am, Brenden wrote:
> Hi all, new debian user here with some basic questions.
>
> My resolv.conf file keeps getting reset to nothing (well, just the
> two comment lines warning me not to change things manually) everytime
> I reboot.  I just plain don't have any idea what could be causing
> this.  Ideas? Help?

Hi.  I don't know the answer, yet.  I have a clue, IF you are using
dhcp.  If you are, /etc/resolv.conf is overwritten by the
script /etc/dhclient-script.  (If you are the type who is comfortable
reading shell script, searching dhclient-script for "resolvconf" brings
you to the relevant part.)  You may be able to get it to write the
correct resolv.conf by configuring /etc/dhclient.conf.  This file has a
man page.

I haven't ever used an /etc/rc.boot/ script, but if it works like Tom
says, then I think it is the easiest way.  It is also a little
crufty... personally I prefer to have files generated correctly to
begin with, when realistic.

PS If you post again, please let us know which version of Debian you are
using, and paste in your resolv.conf (even if it is just comments)

best wishes
Aaron

--
Best,